Nuclear EngineeringResearch Group:
Combatting Nuclear TerrorismEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Timothy Jacomb-Hood's research topic is Ultra-High Rate
Germanium (UHRGe) gamma spectroscopy for post-detonation nuclear
forensics. PNNL is working on creating a germanium spectrometer
that can handle extremely high photon flux while still maintaining
reasonable throughput. Jacomb-Hood is going to be applying this
spectrometer to the analysis of post-detonation samples. Two
high-flux scenarios relevant to nuclear forensics include measuring
volatile fission product mass chains within the debris cloud and
measuring fallout particles. The measurement of short lived
nuclides after a nuclear detonation will provide significant
information about the detonation and there is currently no
spectrometer designed for prompt measurement.
- T.W Jacomb-Hood, C. M. Marianno, B. A. Van Devender, J. E. Fast,
"Ultra-high Rate Gamma Spectroscopy for Post-detonation Nuclear Forensics,"
National Technical Nuclear Forensics Center Annual Academic-Laboratory Collaboration and Technical Advancement Program Review. Los Alamos, NM. August 1st-4th, 2016.
- T. Jacomb-Hood, L. Scott, M. Shah, K. Ford, S. Horowitz, M. Subbaiah, C. Gariazzo, S. Chirayath, D. Kovacic, S. Mladineo, M. Schanfein, and M. Koskelo,
"The Safeguards and Organizational Culture Workshop,"
57th Annual Meeting of the Institute for Nuclear Materials Management (INMM), Atlanta, Georgia, 24-28 July 2016.
- C. Marianno, J.T. Falkner, T. Jacomb-Hood, J. Trevino, L. Dromgoole, M. Shah, M. Boyd, G. Emory, D. Murchison,
"Mobile Radiation Detection Security Sweeps as Teaching Tool,"
61st Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society (HPS), Spokane, Washington, 17-21 July 2016.
- T.W. Jacomb-Hood, C.M. Marianno, J.E. Fast, B.A. Van Devender,
"An Overview of the Ultra-high Rate Germanium Detector,"
2016 South Texas Chapter of the Health Physics Society (STC-HPS) Student Presentation and Annual Business Meeting, Bryan, Texas, 16 April 2016.
- Robert M. Zedric, Scott L. Stewart, Blake A. Palles, Timothy W. Jacomb-Hood, Stephen B. Gerlt, David A. Vermillion, Corey Keith, Marlene Bencomo.,
"Top Things to Know About Special Nuclear Material,"
INMM 56th Annual Meeting, Indian Wells, California, 12-16 July 2015.
- T.W. Jacomb-Hood,
"Presenting Radioisotope Identi cation Detectors (RIIDs) for Threat Detection to Non-technical Professionals,"
American Nuclear Society Student Conference 2014, State College, PA, 5 April 2014.